Memorial Day is a time to reflect on the sacrifices made by the men and women who have served in our armed forces. It is also a time to remember the friends and loved ones who have lost their lives in service to our country. To help you remember the fallen on this Memorial Day, we’ve compiled a list of 50 quotes from notable figures, past and present. These quotes reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day and the sacrifices made by those who have served. We hope that these quotes will inspire you to reflect on the holiday and its importance.
Beautiful Quotes To Share With Friends On Memorial Day
- “For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.”- James A. Garfield
- “Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well.”- Jennifer M. Granholm
- “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.”- Unknown
- “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.”- George S. Patton
- “Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.”- Wallace Bruce
- “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.”- Elmer Davis
- “Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die.”- G.K. Chesterson
- “Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”- Adlai Stevenson II
- “Veterans are a symbol of what makes our nation great, and we must never forget all they have done to ensure our freedom.”- Rodney Frelinghuysen
- “Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.”- Sun Tzu
- “The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.”- Benjamin Disraeli
- “Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history.”- Mary Roach
While Memorial Day is a somber occasion, it is also a time to remember the sacrifices of our fallen heroes. Here are some quotes to share with your friends on this day of remembrance.